Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tomato Soup Sloppy Joes

Yummy note: This is one of those things I make, I'm constantly tinkering with. Sloppy Joes are just that. I always throw stuff together and never take time to measure it out or for that matter, even remember what I put into the pan the last time I made it. haha..I think every time I make it, my husband Drew is like, "this doesn't taste like your typical recipe again..." So again, I went back to the drawing board, or shall I say computer and kitchen cabinet... this time I found a poor lonely can of tomato soup I have had in the cabinet forever and an almost empty bag in the freezer of frozen veggies to toss in as well. These veggies are no ordinary veggies, as they are SUCH a timesaver for me to use. They are already pre-cut up onions, celery, and peppers, ready to toss into anything. So even if you can't find this thing called a "recipe helper" in your local store, I would suggest creating your own and tossing it in the freezer for quick add-ins with your meals to save time! 
So, back to the recipe, I saw on my can of tomato soup, the good ole Campbells website.  On the website, I saw a perfect "back to school" recipe, what great timing, since the fall season has started, thus it became my inspiration for this meal. 


This is an adaption of recipe called "Back to School Sloppy Joes" from Campbell's website here.



Tomato Soup Sloppy Joes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup frozen recipe helper (basically an equal mix of chopped celery, onion, and peppers)
1 lb ground beef
1/4 tp garlic powder
2 tbps ketchup
2 tbps brown sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
small can of tomato soup
1 tbps water
salt and pepper to taste





Directions:
In a large skillet, begin to brown ground beef and add in the frozen celery, onion, and pepper mixture. Next, add in garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Once meat is thoroughly browned and vegetables are tender, drain any extra fat off your meat. Next, add in Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and add about 3/4 of the can of soup.



Stir until well combined and simmer for about 15 minutes until flavors are mingled together. I ended up using almost the whole can of soup, but it really depends on how thick or saucy you'd like your sloppy joes to be. I also added in a bit of water (about a tablespoon or so) towards the end to avoid the sloppy joes from sticking on the pan and to create a bit more "sauce" in the pan.



We serve it on a bun usually, but it is also fairly tasty the next day on top of a bed of salad greens or my daughter's favorite way to eat it, on top of tortilla chips or Fritos corn chips!

2 comments:

  1. Very creative! I always forget about sloppy joes but they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    gH. .

    ReplyDelete